Summer is a natural time to eat light and cool. Our bodies are all warmed up from gorgeous sunshine and toasty temps. Incorporating cooling foods is a simple and effective way to create balance.
We love to eat lots of salads that use leafy greens and citrus in the summer. Combining these cooling ingredients together makes a perfect marriage of flavor and healthy properties.
This month's recipe is one of our favorite salads. Earl is the master, and he loves to top it with 5 Nut Granola to give it that added crunch and taste of sweetness.
Massaged Kale Salad
- 2 bunches of kale
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (or tamari)
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ cup of 5 Nut Granola - any flavor (we like Cacao Cayenne Goji with this one)
- Strip leaves from the stems (discard stems). Wash and dry the leaves. Tear the leaves into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add parmesan (if using), oil, lemon juice, garlic, soy sauce, pepper and salt. With clean hands, firmly massage and crush the greens to work in the flavoring. Stop when the volume of greens is reduced by about half. The greens should look a little darker and somewhat shiny.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with more parmesan, lemon juice, garlic, aminos and/or pepper, if desired.
- Top with granola and serve!
This recipe is simple, tasty, and adaptable.Get creative by adding other veggies (shredded carrots work great), or make it a meal by topping with tuna or chicken salad. In place of parmesan, try using hemp seeds or a non-dairy cheese.
Do you have a recipe you think will pair well with our 5 Nut Granola? Get in touch with us. We’d love to try it!